Also available at:
Last updated 2003.01.10
Items of Historical Interest in the Development and Commercialization of EVs
- T -
Tallyhoe - see Canadian Motors
Produced in Tachikawa (Japan) by the Tokyo Electric Motorcar Co. from 1947 to 1949, and subsequently by the Tama Electric Motorcar Co. at the same location until 1951, the Tamas were enclosed-bodied, 2-door, electric cars. At least 3 models were produced: the E4S-47, the Junior and the Senior; the latter being a 5-seater, the others being 4-seaters. Tama was eventually absorbed by Nissan.
Tang Eng Iron Works
Windsor, ON, circa 1915.
Andrew C. Thompson of Plainfield NJ built an electric runabout in 1901 and 1902. A single electric motor was mounted directly on the rear axle. Two battery versions were offered, one which offered a range of 25 miles per charge, and the other a range of 60 miles. Top speed was advertised as 12 mph.
Thomas B. Thrige AS of Odense (Denmark) was known primarily as a manufacturer of electric motors, beginning operations in the late 1800's. While they did build cars from 1909 to 1918, the vast majority were gasoline-powered. There were a few electric trucks built by the firm prior to their entry into the gasoline-motorcar business.
Thrupp & Maberly
Thrupp & Maberly were coach-builders located in London (England). In 1896 they fitted a few of their carriages with electric motors and batteries, one of which was sold to the Queen of Spain.
The Tiffany Electric Car Co. of Flint MI produced the Tiffany electric car, an open 2-seater, in 1913 and 1914. The car was the successor to the Flanders (see also), and after March 1914, the vehicles reverted back to the Flanders name.
In 1996, Toyota Motor Co. of Japan introduced its electric version of the RAV-4 small sport-utility vehicle. In 1997, it introduced the Prius, a parallel gasoline-electric hybrid car. Both were made available only in Japan. Prior to these introductions, Toyota had developed a number of electric prototypes, mostly in the 1970's, including the EV2P (a 4-seater car claiming a range of approximately 200 km and a top speed of 85 km/h using lead-acid batteries); the BP30 (a minivan with a range of 65 km and top speed of 70 km/h); the UP100E (a minivan with a range of 80 km and top speed of 60 km/h); and the Miniace (a minivan with a range of 50 km, a top speed of 60 km/h using four 12-volt lead-acid batteries).
Transformer - see Electric Fuel Propulsion
A. Triblehorn of Feldbach (Switzerland) produced primarily commercial electric vehicles (delivery trucks) for the Swiss Post Office and other businesses. They did produce a small number of 2 and 4-seater open-bodied electric cars from 1902 to 1918. 1918 saw the introduction of an open-bodied 2-seater, 3-wheeler electric car and the production switching to the corporate body of Electrische Fahrzeuge AG in Altstetten. Production of private cars appears to have ceased in approximately 1920, but production of the electric trucks may have continued for several more years.
Triton - see Zzipper
The first and only model of a vehicle design developed by Jim
Muir for Renaissance Cars. The two seater open air roadster
captured the hearts and souls of many who saw it, and even got a
1994 Car & Driver preview of it to give an EV favorable
comments. After Renaissance Cars went into receivership, the
design was purchased by Zebra Motors, and further design work
Avia 1250 Electric
This website is powered by renewable energy.